Wednesday October 7th 2015
Rev Denise Calverley led a lesson based on:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
The children learnt a song about the fruits of the spirit; whilst explaining the meaning of the verse Rev Denise made smoothies out of the fruit mentioned.
Godly Play sessions with Pauline Sawyer (Year 3)
Godly Play – a reflective storytelling method encouraging children to explore the mystery of God. The focus is on the materials not on the story teller and it helps children to make meaning for themselves rather than be told meaning. It is not threatening and children who are sometimes reluctant to join in will ask and answer questions - knowing there are no right or wrong answers/questions.
- Helped the children understand:
- Caring for others
- We are not all the same
- Why might people treat others unkindly
- Looking at things from another person’s perspective.
Rev Denise – St Johns Church (Year 3)
Tower of Babel - working together in groups, what happens when people within a group disagree? (towers made from marshmallows and cocktail sticks)
- Colours of the church year – children able to dress up in cassocks/stoles of different colours – very successful, children asked lots of questions and were able to remember lots about the session.
- Visit to the Philippines (hopefully build up link with a school there)
- Work with Pauline and Denise also developed writing skills – descriptive language, metaphors/similes/ specific religious vocab.